Why join a union?
There are over 100 different unions in Canada, representing nearly 4 million Canadian workers.
Historically, unions have fought for many of the benefits all workers take for granted today—the five-day work week, overtime pay, paid holidays and sick leave, workplace safety, to name just a few.
Today, union workers enjoy many other benefits including healthcare and pension plans, access to training, and greater legal protection at work than non-union workers. Studies have shown that union workers enjoy
- Higher wages – union wages are 26% higher, on average, than non-union wages
- More sick leave – 25% more union workers have a sick leave allowance than non-union workers
- Better health benefits – a third more union workers have a health benefit plan than non-union workers
- Greater retirement savings – union members are twice as likely to have a pension plan than non-union workers
- Comprehensive training – unions provide members with the training they need to succeed at work and stay safe on the job
For more information on joining CLAC, please contact a representative.